The newest elementary school in FCPS, at 4801 Athens Boonesboro Rd., is planned to open in the fall of 2019 with a capacity of 750 students. The new school will pull students from Garrett Morgan, Athens-Chilesburg, and possibly Squires Elementary. The goals are to rezone 550 to 600 students, accommodate all elementary students within a mile of the school, implement a grandfathering plan to accommodate rising fifth-graders, and address anticipated growth on the East/Southeast side of Lexington.
The new school is planned to be 1 story and 80,000 square feet featuring two academic wings connected by gymnasium, cafeteria, media center, administration.
Committee’s schedule, with tentative dates and topics
- June 5 | Introduction of the process | Minutes
- June 12 | Davis Demographics presentation | Handouts | Minutes
- June 19 | Davis Demographics presentation of scenarios, with Q&A | Handouts | Minutes
- July 10 | Davis Demographics presentation of scenarios, with Q&A; 4 p.m. in Norsworthy Auditorium at central office, 701 E. Main St.
- July 24 | Community forum
- Aug. 13 | Proposal to the school board
- Aug. 27 | Presentation at the school board’s action meeting
For more Lexington, KY, Hamburg area news, subscribe to the Hamburg Journal weekly digital newsletter.