The newest elementary school in FCPS, at 4801 Athens Boonesboro Rd., is planned to open in the fall of 2019 with a capacity of 750 students. The new school will pull students from Garrett Morgan, Athens-Chilesburg, and possibly Squires Elementary. The goals are to rezone 550 to 600 students, accommodate all elementary students within a mile of the school, implement a grandfathering plan to accommodate rising fifth-graders, and address anticipated growth on the East/Southeast side of Lexington.
The new school is planed to be 1 story and 80,000 square feet featuring two academic wings connected by gymnasium, cafeteria, media center, administration.
Committee’s schedule, with tentative dates and topics
- June 5 | Introduction of the process | Minutes
- June 12 | Davis Demographics presentation of scenarios and discussion, 4 p.m. at Garrett Morgan Elementary library, 1150 Passage Mound Way in Hamburg
- June 19 | Davis Demographics presentation of scenarios and discussion
- July 10 | Community forum
- July 24 | Revisions of plan, if needed
- Aug. 13 | Proposal to the school board
- Aug. 27 | Presentation at the school board’s action meeting
For more Lexington, KY, Hamburg area news, subscribe to the Hamburg Journal weekly digital newsletter.