Councilmembers Angela Evans and Preston Worley spent the day at Shriners Hospital with NASCAR driver David Ragan (No. 38) last month. The kids enjoyed a friendly remote control car race with Ragan in the parking lot of the hospital.
Back to School Rallies
The Back to School Rally provides school supplies the upcoming year for elementary, middle, and high school students. There is food, games, and activities for those that attend. Hamburg locations are: Bainbridge/Squires Valvoline, Radcliffe – Marlboro Park, Woodhill Park, and Church of Nazarene & Remnant Community Church.
New Principals Named for Hamburg Elementary Schools
Fayette County Public Schools announced three new principals for elementary schools in the Hamburg area. Lisa Kear was named the new principal of Liberty Elementary, Mark Rose was named the new principal of Athens-Chilesburg Elementary, and Joshua Williams was named the new principal of Brenda Cowan Elementary.
“Every school deserves a transformational leader who will keep students first in every decision,” Caulk said. “With the selection of these sensational individuals, I am confident the elementary schools will remain in good hands.”
Parents’ Guide to the 2019-2020 School Year
What you need to register
- Proof of Identity (Birth Certificate, adoption records, valid passport or Social Security card, military ID, driver’s license or permit)
- TWO Proofs of Residence (Property deed or current lease agreement, and a current utility bill or a current tax bill or receipt)
- Proof of child’s recent preventative health care exam
- Up-to-date Kentucky immunization certificate
- Proof of an eye exam (due by Jan. 1)
- Proof of a dental exam (due by Jan. 1) The 2019-20 sign-up window for all grades (K-12) is July 30 through August 14 (first day of school).
To register in 2019-20, families may begin online at www.fcps.net/register.
- Current KY Immunization Certificate
- Physical Exam done within one year prior to or 30 days after entering school
- KY Eye Exam by licensed Ophthalmologist or Optometrist by Jan. 1 of the year of enrollment for students 4-6 years of age
- KY Dental Exam by licensed Dentist or Dental Hygienist for all 5-6 year olds enrolled in public school, by Jan. 1 of the year of enrollment
- Valid KY Immunization Certificate
- Tetanus, Diphtheria and Acellular Pertussis (Tdap) booster is required
- Two doses of Meningococcal vaccine (First at 6th grade entry, age 11-12 years or older and 2nd dose at 16 years of age)
- Two doses Hepatitis A vaccine 6 months apart (All students Preschool – 12) Physical Exam done within one year prior to or 30 days after entering sixth grade
Aug 3 Back to School Carnival, 11:30 am, Lyric Theater
Aug 6 Back to School Game Night, 5:30 pm, Hamburg Library
Aug 7 State of Schools, 7:30 am, Convention Center
Aug 8 Brenda Cowan Elementary Kindergarten Readiness Camp, 8 am, Crossroads Andover
Aug 10 Scenic Summer Train Rides, 12:30 pm, Bluegrass Railroad Museum
Aug 12 Brenda Cowan Elementary Ribbon Cutting, 10 am
Aug 14 First Day of School for Fayette County Public Schools
Aug 16 Sayre School Cookout, 5 pm, Sayre Athletic Complex
Aug 17 Back to School Bash, noon, The Summit at Fritz Farm
Aug 17 Outerwear Unveiling in Lexington, 9:30 am, Kid to Kid
Aug 23 No School for FCPS
Sep 2 Happy Labor Day! No School for FCPS
Events may require tickets or registration. Times, dates, and locations subject to change.
This article also appears on page 12 and 13 of the August 2019 print edition of Hamburg Journal.
For more Lexington, KY, Hamburg area news, subscribe to the Hamburg Journal digital newsletter.
To advertise in Hamburg Journal, call 859.268.0945